At a productive Strategic Planning Meeting in Orlando, Florida in January, the US Chess Executive Board and key staff met to revise the organization’s mission and vision statements and goals. The US Chess’ 501(c)(3) non-profit’s educational mission is now given as:
Empower people, enrich lives, and enhance communities through chess.
The new US Chess vision statement is:
Chess is recognized as an essential tool that is inclusive, benefits education and rehabilitation, and promotes recreation and friendly competition.
Once the above were agreed upon, the following organizational goals were adopted:
- Increase the use of chess in education
- Expand the social, recreational, and rehabilitative applications of chess
- Develop the depth and breadth of our partnerships
- Use chess to increase opportunities for under-represented segments of society
- Continuously improve internal operations and member services
You can read more about this in US Chess Executive Board President’s Allen Priest’s “Across the Board” column in the March 2019 Chess Life, which will be available on March 1.
We are always interested in hearing your stories about how our mission, vision, and goals are being executed across the nation by individuals and organizations. If you would like to share your story, either for us to potentially tell it via CLO, in Chess Life, or on a podcast—or simply to provide us background information—please write us at [email protected]. You can also tag us on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.