US Chess Grand Prix Program
This page was revised on August 19, 2021
To qualify, an event must be US Chess-rated (regular or quick) and meet these criteria:
• All US Chess-rated players over 2199 must be eligible to play in the top (or only) section.
• The prize fund for which all masters are eligible MUST equal or exceed $300 guaranteed; $150 be guaranteed to first place; no more than one prize under $100 may count towards the Grand Prix (GP) total; and prizes below the maximum entry fee do not count towards the GP total.
• Class prizes for Under 2300 or a higher rating requirement qualify towards GP points, but if they exceed 25% of the total qualifying GP money, they count as 25% of the total.
• Other than entry fees and US Chess dues, no charges over $25 are permitted.
• The tournament must be submitted for the Tournament Life section of Chess Life and designated by the submitter as a GP tournament.
• Only players who are US Chess members during the tournament may earn GP points. Foreign grandmasters, international masters, women grandmasters, and women international masterscan play without being members, but they will not obtain GP points unless they join.
• An event may obtain “Enhanced Grand Prix” status if the organizer agrees to make a per-player contribution to the Professional Players
Health and Benefits Fund at the time the TLA for the event is submitted. An Enhanced Grand Prix event has its GP points raised one level
higher than the original level of the event.
• Conditions concerning US Chess GP tournaments are subject to review and adjustment by the US Chess Executive Director.
The top prizes must be unconditionally guaranteed (or if a GP event’s prize fund is based on entries, only the absolutely guaranteed minimum payout counts for point awards) and announced in Chess Life. Even if prizes are raised at the tournament, no additional points can be awarded because the bonus would be unfair to players who may otherwise have entered. If you have questions about the Grand Prix, please contact email@example.com.