US Chess has opened its search for a Digital Editor, a new part-time position within US Chess. The Digital Editor will work within the Communications Department, reporting directly to the Senior Digital Editor, to advance the US Chess Mission via our website and social media platforms.
To apply for this position, please include an expression of interest, resume, three professional references, three writing samples or social media posts or samples. Send by 5 CT on Thursday, January 10th (EXTENDED) to Judy Misner ([email protected]). No phone calls please.
Reports To: Senior Digital Editor
Major Areas of Responsibility
Content Creation and Editing
- Write articles to drive traffic to uschess.org and promote our top players, National Events and communicate our mission to empower people with chess one move at a time.
- Create content on our social media networks, twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram, including promotion of our monthly podcasts, congratulatory wishes on successes to top players and other pieces to promote our mission to empower people with chess one move at a time.
- Interact with users and members on social media to promote the US Chess mission and encourage membership retention and brand recognition.
- Post and edit content such as announcements, press releases and monthly postal chess column.
- Edit and post static content such as bios, tournament information, committee summaries and scholastics.
- Copy-edit content on social media channels and our website
Excellent Skills in:
- Strong writing, editing and interview abilities
- Proficiency with wordpress and other CMS’s, MS Office Suite, basic photo editing and major chess programs (chessbase, computer engine, algebraic notation)
- Communication skills especially via email. Ability to reserve daily time for US Chess emails and schedule consistent office hours for at least four days a week for two to three hours in the range of US Chess core hours 10 AM-4 PM Central Time, for ease of communication with other full-time and part-time staff.
- Chess proficiency
Demonstrated ability to:
- Strong judgment in acceptable content to post/share on website and social media.
- Communication skills to reach out to key staff members, affiliates or star players
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university
- Experience working in social media or communications for a non-profit or chess related organization.
- Extensive professional or personal experience with major social media networks
Salary and Benefits
- Part-time Salary commensurate with experience, 20 hours per week
- Telecommuting allowed, base location is Crossville, Tennessee
- Growth opportunities
Contact Judy Misner at [email protected] to apply or with questions.