Hotel & Playing Site: Country Inn & Suites Fredericksburg-South, 10358 Patriot Hwy, Fredericksburg, VA 22408.
Format: 4 Double-rounds, Swiss System (this is not an elimination event). Time Control is Game in 5 minutes with no time delay or increment, meaning each player has exactly 5 minutes of total thinking time in each game of Blitz.
Sections: Two Blitz Sections.
- Under 1600 & Unrated:
+ An “Unrated” is someone who does not have a US Chess rating or a rating in a system recognized by the US Chess Federation (e.g., FIDE and many foreign countries). A player who has a rating in a recognized system is NOT Unrated. Ratings in Chess.com, Lichess, Chesskid, ICC, Tornelo, etc., are not used.
+ Chief TD will pair players and award prizes based on the higher of each player’s Over-the-Board and Online Regular ratings. These ratings also determine players’ section eligibility. The Chief TD is the final authority on ratings used.
Prizes: We will pay out 80% of the entry fees as 1st-4th place prizes in each Blitz section.
On-Line Registration & Fees: Register online at www.vachess.org.
- $30 through Saturday Oct 21st
- $35 starting Sunday Oct 22nd through Wednesday Oct 25th
- $40 starting Thursday Oct 26th and at the tournament site
On-Site Registration: At the hotel.
- Friday, Oct 27th, 4 pm to 6:30 pm. Round 1 of Blitz starts at 7 pm.
- Credit cards, checks, cash accepted.
Ratings Used for Sectioning and Prizes: For section determination and prizes we use the higher of a player’s Over-the-Board and Online Regular and Blitz ratings from the October 2023 US Chess Rating Supplement. Established ratings trump provisional ratings, and “stale” over-the-board or online ratings will be reviewed by the Chief TD. Players who lack US Chess ratings, but have ratings in other recognized systems, will have their ratings converted by the Chief TD to a US Chess equivalent.
- All players must be US Chess members in good standing except Foreign GM/WGM, IM/WIM. Check, join, or renew your membership at www.uschess.org.
- Checks payable to VA Chess Federation or “VCF”
- Download our mail-in form from www.vachess.org, or include the Player’s Name, Address, Email, Phone Number, US Chess ID, Section Playing In, and whether you want an Optional half-point Bye.
- Mail by Saturday Oct 21st to Mike Hoffpauir, ATTN: Fredericksburg Open, 405 Hounds Chase, Yorktown, VA 23693-3356
- VCF will provide all chess sets and clocks for the Blitz tournament.
Face Masks: Optional, please supply your own if you want to wear one. We will have hand sanitizer on site.
10358 Patriot Highway
Fredericksburg, VA 22408