Annual Fredericksburg Open
A Heritage Event!
US CHESS GRAND PRIX POINTS: 20
US Chess Junior Grand Prix!
Oct. 29-30, Virginia
A VCF Cup Event
Hotel & Playing Site: Country Inn & Suites Fredericksburg-South, 5327 Jefferson Davis Highway, Fredericksburg, VA 22408. Chess Rate for lodging is $79 plus taxes. Call the hotel at 540-898-1800 by Fri. Oct 21 and mention the “Fredericksburg Open Chess Tournament.”
Format: 5 Rounds, Swiss System (this is not an elimination tournament).
Sections: Three (3) Sections.
- Championship: Minimum post-tournament US Chess rating of 1600 in the past 12 months. No Unrated players in this section (see Note 1).
- Under 1800: Open to Players rated below 1800, over 1000, and those who are Unrated.
- Under 1200: Open to Players rated below 1200 or who are Unrated.
+ An “Unrated” is someone who does not have a US Chess rating or a rating in a system recognized by the US Chess Federation (e.g., FIDE and many foreign countries). A player who has a rating in a recognized system is NOT Unrated. Ratings in Chess.com, Lichess, Chesskid, ICC, Tornelo, etc., are not used.
+ Chief TD will pair players and award prizes based on the higher of each player’s Over-the-Board and Online Regular ratings. These ratings also determine players’ section eligibility. The Chief TD is the final authority on ratings used.
Prizes: $4000 Prize Fund based on 70 players. ALL PLACE PRIZES guaranteed, remaining prizes will not be reduced by more than 33% if we have less than 70 players.
- Championship: 1st – 3rd Places $650, $400, $250; Top Expert $200; Top A $180; Top Upset Rds 1-5 $120.
- Under 1800: 1st-3rd $475, $310, $175; Top U1500 $140, Top U1200 $130; Top Unrated $100; Top Upset Rds 1-5 $100.
- Under 1200: 1st-3rd $350, $200, $100; Top U1000/Unrated $70; Top U800 $50; Trophies to 2nd U1000 and U800, 1st & 2nd U600.
- Unrated players must play in the U1800 or U1200 sections, limited to $250 winnings.
On-Line Registration & Fees: Register online at www.vachess.org.
- $80 through Saturday Oct 22nd
- $95 starting Sunday Oct 23rd through Wednesday Oct 26th
- $110 starting Thursday Oct 27th and at the tournament site
- VA Chess Federation will retain $5 from any player who withdraws before Round 1
On-Site Registration: At the hotel.
- Friday, Oct 28th, 4 pm to 6:30 pm. Round 1 of Blitz starts at 7 pm.
- Saturday, Oct 29th, 7:30 – 9:15 am. Round 1 of the Main Tournament begins at 10 am.
- Credit cards, checks, cash accepted
Optional Half-Point Byes & Re-Entry in the Main Event:
- One half-point bye allowed in any round, must declare during Registration or 30 min before the start of Rounds 1 and 2. Bye requests after 30 minutes before Round 2 must be Zero-point Byes.
- Players who lose in Round 1 can Re-Enter in Round 2 for $30 and receive a half-point Bye.
MAIN EVENT SCHEDULE:
- Round 1: Saturday Oct 29th at 10 am. Time Control is Game-75 with a 10-second time increment from move one.
- Round 2: Saturday at 2 pm. Time Control is Game-90 with a 10-second time increment from move one.
- Round 3: Saturday at 7 pm. Same Time Control as Round 2, same for all remaining rounds.
- Round 4: Sunday, Oct 30th at 10 am.
- Round 5: Sunday at 3 pm. Monetary prizes distributed at end of event or mailed to players, trophies will not be mailed.
Ratings Used for Sectioning and Prizes: For section determination and prizes we use the higher of a player’s Over-the-Board Regular and Online Regular ratings from the October 2022 US Chess Rating Supplement. Established ratings trump provisional ratings, and “stale” over-the-board or online ratings will be reviewed by the Chief TD. Players who lack US Chess ratings, but have ratings in other recognized systems, will have their ratings converted by the Chief TD to a US Chess equivalent.
- All players must be US Chess members in good standing except Foreign GM/WGM, IM/WIM. Check, join, or renew your membership at www.uschess.org.
- Virginia-based players must be members of the VA Chess Federation. Join or renew during the tournament entry process or at the tournament site.
- Check payable to VA Chess Federation or “VCF”
- Download our mail-in form from www.vachess.org, or include the Player’s Name, Address, Email, Phone Number, US Chess ID, Section Playing In, and whether you want an Optional half-point Bye.
- Mail by Saturday Oct 21st to Mike Hoffpauir, ATTN: Fredericksburg Open, 405 Hounds Chase, Yorktown, VA 23693-3356
- VCF is capable of providing all chess sets, but we have a limited supply of clocks. Please being your increment-capable clock and know how to set it!
- We plan to have a Chess Vendor will be on site, Mr. Todd Hammer
COVID-19 Guidance: TBD as the event nears. At the present time we practice “masks are optional, but recommended” in our events.
5327 Jefferson Davis Highway
Fredericksburg, VA 22408