53rd Annual Virginia Open
June 24-26, 2022
A Heritage Event!
US Chess Junior Grand Prix!
A VCF Cup Event
Hotel & Playing Site: Washington Dulles Airport Marriott Hotel, 45020 Aviation Dr., Dulles, VA 20166; www.marriott.com, 703-471-9500, Chess Rate for lodging is $136 plus taxes. Reserve by Fri. 6/3 at 703-471-9500 and mention the “Virginia Chess Federation” Group Name.
Format: 5 Rounds, Swiss System (this is not an elimination tournament). The Championship and Amateur (Under 1800) Sections will be FIDE and US Chess rated. The Novice Section (Under 1200) is US Chess rated only.
Sections: Three (3) Sections.
- Championship: Minimum rating 1400, FIDE and US Chess rated; 30-min. default/no show rule in effect. Round 1 at 7:30 pm Friday.
- Amateur (Under 1800): FIDE and US Chess rated; 30-min. default/no-show rule in effect. Round 1 at 7:30 pm Friday.
- Novice (Under 1200): US Chess rated; default/no-show time allowed is 1 hour. Round 1 at 10 am Saturday.
- Championship: 1st – 3rd Places $790, $535, $355; Top Expert $225; Top A $205; Top Upset Rds 1-5 $140. Plaque to 1st Place.
- Amateur (Under 1800): 1st-3rd Places $560, $390, $260; Top C $190, Top D $180; Top Upset Rds 1-5 $130. Plaque to 1st Place.
- Novice (Under 1200): 1st-3rd Places $400, $300, $200; Top U1000 $160; Top U800 $150; Top Unrated $100; Top Upset Rds 1-5 $125
- Unrated players must play in the Amateur or Novice Section, limited to $250 Place Prize. A player who does not have a US Chess rating, but has a rating in another US Chess-recognized rating system (e.g., FIDE, Canada, most European and Asian countries) is NOT Unrated.
On-Line Registration & Fees: www.vachess.org.
- $100 through Saturday June 18th
- $125 starting Sunday June 19th
- $140 starting Thursday June 23rd
- VA Chess Federation will retain $5 from any player who withdraws before Round 1
On-Site Registration: At the hotel
- Friday, June 24th, 4 pm to 6:45 pm. Championship and Amateur entries received after 6:45 pm will be paired for Round 2 on Saturday.
- Saturday, June 25th, 7:30 – 9:15 am. Novice Section entries received after 9:15 am will be paired for Round 2.
Optional Half-Point Byes & Re-Entry:
- One half-point bye allowed per player in any round, declare during Registration or 30 min before the start of Rounds 1 and 2. Requests made later than 30 minutes before Round 2 count as Zero-point Byes.
- Players who lose in Round 1 can Re-Enter the tournament for $45 after Round 1, player gets a half-point Bye.
Schedule - Championship & Amateur Sections: FIDE Rules. FIDE and US Chess rated, there is a 30-minute default/no-show rule.
- Round 1: Friday, June 24, 7:30 pm. Time Control is Game-90 with 30-sec time increment from move one.
- Round 2: Saturday, June 25, 10 am. Time Control is 40/90, SD/30, with 30-sec time increment from move one.
- Round 3: Saturday, June 25, 4:30 pm. Same time control as Round 2. This time control will be used for the remaining rounds.
- Round 4: Sunday, June 26, 10 am.
- Round 5: Sunday, June 26, 4:30 pm.
Schedule - Novice Section: US Chess Rules. US Chess rated, default/no-show rule is 60-minutes.
- Friday, June 24: NO GAMES on Friday in this section.
- Round 1: Saturday, June 25, 10 am. Time Control is G/60, with 10-sec time increment from move one.
- Round 2: Saturday, June 25, 2 pm. Time Control is G/60, with 10-sec time increment from move one.
- Round 3: Saturday, June 25, 6 pm. Time Control is G/60, with 10-sec time increment from move one.
- Round 4: Sunday, June 26, 10 am. Time Control is G/90, with 10-sec time increment from move one.
- Round 5: Sunday, June 26, 2:30 pm. Time Control is G/90, with 10-sec time increment from move one.
Ratings for Sectioning and Prizes: For section determination and prizes we will use the higher of a player’s Over-the-Board Regular and Online Regular ratings from the June 2022 US Chess Rating Supplement. Established ratings trump provisional ratings. Players without US Chess ratings, but who have ratings in other recognized systems (FIDE, Canada, Europe, Asia, etc.), will have those ratings converted to a US Chess equivalent for sectioning and prize purposes.
Pairings: Players will be paired using their US Chess or equivalent converted ratings (see above).
- All players must be US Chess members in good standing except Foreign GM/WGM, IM/WIM. Check, join, or renew your membership at www.uschess.org.
- Virginia-based players must be members of the VA Chess Federation. You can join at www.vachess.org as part of the tournament entry process or join later at www.vachess.org.
- Check payable to VA Chess Federation or “VCF”
- Include Name, Address, Email, Phone Number, US Chess ID, Section Playing In, and Whether you want an Optional half-point Bye.
- Mail by Saturday June 18th to Mike Hoffpauir, ATTN: VA Open, 405 Hounds Chase, Yorktown, VA 23693-3356
45020 Aviation Drive
Dulles, VA 20166