2023 RUCC Open
Brockman Hall for Physics (BRK 101 and 103)
Saturday, December 2, 2023
Sign up form: https://forms.gle/VvbeE8jFtwkVCQ7A8
- December 2nd. Open to all, no age requirements. However, unaccompanied minors (under 18) must fill out the following form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wYFR-NSE0aBJri29UWGNGcZgOIK7t_6w/view?usp=sharing and email it to email@example.com. Printed copies to be filled out by parent/guardian will also be provided at the tournament venue. Unaccompanied minors may not participate in Rice University sponsored events without this form on file.
- Bringing your own chess set (including a clock) is expected. There will be a limited number of extra sets available, with priority given to Rice University members. Notation sheets and writing utensils will be provided at the tournament venue.
- One half point bye available per participant. Must declare before the start of the first round of the tournament.
- Prizes will be given out via venmo on the day of the tournament
- The standard USCF tie break order is to use Modified Median, then Solkoff, then Cumulative. In the case of a tie, prizes will be given out according to standard USCF tie break order.
- US Chess Federation rated. USCF membership required for all participants.
- Copies of USCF membership forms will be available at the tournament venue.
- This event is not FIDE rated
Fees and Prizes
- Regular entry fee (must be received by 11/29 11:59 PM): $5 for individuals with valid Rice ID, $20 for participants otherwise. After 11/30, entries increase to $10 and $30 for Rice University members and others, respectively. Payment will be via Venmo, with further information available through the sign-up form. There is no entry free for IMs or GMs.
- If you cancel and request a refund, half of your payment will be deducted for processing fees, NO REFUNDS WITHIN 24 HOURS OF ROUND 1.
- Two sections: Open and U1500.
- Prizes: 60% payout of entry fees. Open 1st (20%), 2nd (15%); U1500 1st (10%), 2nd (5%); Biggest upset (5%), Top Unrated (5%)
- Unrated players are not eligible for “biggest upset” prize
- Time control: G/30, d5
Check-in: 9:00 - 9:40 AM
- 10:00 AM
- 11:15 AM (followed by a Lunch Break)
- 2:00 PM
- 3:15 PM
- All players must check-in in person by 9:40 AM. Late registration closes at 8:45 AM.
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
6100 Main St., Houston, TX 77005-1827 (for navigation apps: Brockman Hall for Physics, BRK 101), BRK 103 will be used as the Skittles (break) Room.
Find maps here: https://www.rice.edu/campus-maps
Directions: Handicap-accessible parking is available at North Lot. If entering through entrance 20, and if parked at North Lot, walking directly south (past Hamman Hall) will direct you to Brockman Hall for Physics.
Free internet. Fitness center and restaurants within walking distance.
6100 Main St.
Houston, TX 77005-1827