THIS IS AN OVER-THE-BOARD TOURNAMENT.
WHAT: 2022 Virginia Senior Open Chess Championship. All games will be rated by the US Chess Federation and FIDE. All players compete in one section. FIDE Rules are in effect.
WHY: To determine what senior Virginia player will represent the Commonwealth at the 2022 John T. Irwin National Tournament of Senior State Champions being held in California at the end of July during the U.S. Open.
- The Irwin tournament will be held at the US Open on July 30-Aug 2, 2022, in Rancho Mirage, CA.
- Virginia’s representative to The Irwin Tournament will receive a stiped of at least $500 to attend.
ELIGIBILITY: All players must be at least 50 years old as of June 2nd, 2022.
WHEN: Friday through Sunday, June 3rd-5th, 2022. Time Control for all rounds is Game-120 with 5 seconds of time delay.
- Friday, 6/3: Round 1 at 7pm. Onsite registration open from 4-6:15pm at the venue.
- Saturday, 6/4: Rounds 2 and 3 at 11am and 5pm
- Sunday, 6/5: Rounds 4 and 5 at 10am and 4pm
WHERE: Washington-Dulles Airport Marriott, 45020 Aviation Drive, Dulles, VA 20166
- Hotel rate is $133 per night, plus taxes if reserved by Friday, May 13th.
- Reserve your room by calling Marriott Reservations at 1(800) 228-9290 or the hotel at (703) 471-9500. Identify yourself as part of the “Virginia Chess” group.
- 5 rounds, Swiss System.
- Time Control is Game-120 with 5 seconds of time delay for each move.
- There is a 30-minute “no show” rule in effect. A player who is more than 30 minutes late for the announced start time of any round shall be forfeited for that round.
PRIZES: $2,000 prize fund with 1st-3rd places Guaranteed and the remaining prizes based on 50 players.
- 1st to 3rd Places (guaranteed): $650, $450, $300. Plaque to 1st place Virginian.
- Top Under 2200: $200
- Top Under 1800: $165
- Top Under 1400 / Unrated: $135
- Top Upset from Rounds 1-5: $100
- Player ratings used for pairings and awarding of prizes will be from the US Chess June 2022 Rating Supplement. Players will be paired using the higher of their Over-the-Board and Online Regular (slow) Ratings.
- Players without a US Chess rating and who have a rating in another system recognized by US Chess (e.g., FIDE, Canada, many foreign countries) will be paired according to a conversion of their foreign rating by the Chief Arbiter.
REGISTRATION: Go to www.vachess.org
- Entry Fee: $65 through midnight on Tuesday, May 31st, increases to $80 on Wednesday, June 1st and at the tournament site. $5 retained from players who withdraw before Round 1.
- ALL PLAYERS must be current members of the U.S. Chess Federation to play. Players who reside in Virginia must be members of the Virginia Chess Federation (VCF). Please join or renew your US Chess or Virginia Chess memberships before the tournament.
- Boards and pieces will be available or you may use your own.
- Bring your increment-capable chess clock.
- COVID-19 protocols to be announced later
QUESTIONS? Mike Hoffpauir, VA Chess Federation, firstname.lastname@example.org, 757-846-4805 (text)