6-rounds FIDE rated Weekend Tournament
Open for everyone!
Date -- Tournament format -- Byes -- Prize Fund
Registration -- Eligibility -- Tournament rules -- FAQ
- Friday, November 26 - Sunday, November 28, 2021
- Location: Mechanics' Institute Chess Room, 4th Floor
57 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (click here to map)
- Tournament Format: individual Swiss
- Total Round: 6
- Round Times: Friday 1:30PM and 6PM, Saturday and Sunday 10am, 3pm
- Time Control: G/90;+30 (Game in 90 minutes with a 30-second increment with each move.)
- Games will be US Chess regular-rated and FIDE-rated.
- Sections based on USCF ratings: 2000+, 1600-1999, and under1600.
- Pairings are based on the November 2021 supplemental regular US Chess rating.
- Playup: Players must have a 1800 USCF OTB or ONL supplemental rating in order to be eligible to play up to the 2000+ section and must have a 1400+ USCF OTB or ONL supplemental rating in order to be eligible to play up to the 1600-1999 section.
- Unrateds can only play in the u1600 section, and are ineligible for class prizes.
- Byes are available for players in any rounds in case they can't participate but would like to stay in the tournament.
- A maximum of 3 half-point byes can be requested in this tournament.
- Round 1-4 byes must be requested 15 minutes prior to the round start time.
- Round 5-6 byes must be requested before start of Round 1. Round 6 bye is irrevocable to prevent prize fund manipulations.
- Late registrations will receive a 0.5 bye for any missed round, up to total 3 rounds.
- $3500 based on 100 paid entries
Open (FIDE-rated): 1st: $600; 2nd: $400; 3rd: $200; 4th: $150; Best under2000: $150;
1600-1999 (FIDE-rated): 1st: $400; 2nd: $250; 3rd: $150; 4th: $100; Best under1800: $100;
Under1600 (FIDE-rated): 1st: $400; 2nd: $250, 3rd: $150; Best under1400: $100; Best under1200: $100;
- Under prizes are based on USCF OTB or ONL ratings (whichever is the higher)
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing prize checks.
- Per IRS rules anyone with a cumulative $600+ prizes in any calendar year will need to fill out a W9 and Mechanics' Institute will be providing a 1099 form. More details coming soon.
- Onsite Registration: Friday and Saturday, 11/26-27: 9:30-9:45AM
- MI library member: $70
- Non-MI library member: $95
- Play-up for MI member: $10
- Play-up for non-MI member: $15 (you need to be within 200 rating points of the next section.)
- Late fee on the day of the tournament: $20
- $5 admin fee for all cancellations & refunds.
- Entry to GM/IM/WGM/WIMs by 11/20. Prize-EF applies.
- Click here to register: https://mechanics-institute.jumbula.com/Tournaments2021/MechanicsThanksgivingGobblerOpenInPersonFIDE
- Players must have current US Chess Federation membership. The expiration date of their US Chess membership must be later than the last day of the tournament.
- Not sure if you have a membership? Need to check the expiration date of your members? Visit: https://new.uschess.org/player-search
- Become a member or renew your membership: https://new.uschess.org/player-search
- Standard US Chess and modified FIDE rules apply.
- Forfeit time is 60 minutes. Please be considerate of your opponent, and don't be late! Let us know if you can't make it to one round!
- What do the time controls mean?
Time controls are telling you how much time you have for each game.
For example, G90+30 means game in 90 minutes with a 30-second increment with each move. This means you get 90 minutes, your opponent gets 90 minutes, and with each move players get an extra 30 second on their clock.
- How many games/rounds?
The 6SS before the time control means there are six rounds or four games a player can play in the tournament. The tournaments are never elimination, so win or lose you can stay in the tournament.
- Players Database
For players who are interested in playing in our tournament.
PLEASE fill out our Players database: https://forms.gle/X3hChCWbusHp4Ze56 to get email notifications about last minute changes and invitational opportunities.
57 Post Street
57 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94104
Grand Prix Points:
Prize Fund: $3500
FIDE Rated: Yes
Handicap Accessible: No
Residency Restriction: No
Online Event: No