Tournament Dates: Saturday, October 7, 2023 - Monday, October 9, 2023
Location: Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, 45020 Aviation Dr., Dulles, VA 20166
FREE ENTRY: Current US Chess membership required for all players. EARLY tournament registration and CHECK-IN are encouraged, and can be completed on onsite Friday, Oct 6 starting at 1700 hours in the Chantilly salon meeting room downstairs.
Tournament Info: Go to www.vachess.org and select the link for the US Armed Forces Open.
Registration: Two ways to enter
- ONLINE: See www.vachess.org. No entries by email, phone or text.
- ONSITE: Saturday, Oct 7, 0800-0845 at the tournament site. Please check-in to confirm your registration at least 30 minutes before the start of the tournament, failure check-in may result in you not being paired for Round 1.
Player Eligibility: All players must meet at least one of the entry criteria below:
- Current, retired, and former members of the U.S. Military, Coast Guard, and other uniformed federal services.
- Cadets/Midshipmen attending one of the nation's military academies.
- ROTC Cadets/Midshipmen attending a University where they are enrolled in the ROTC program.
Two Sections: 5 Rounds, Swiss System, FIDE rated, FIDE rules. Time control is G/90 +30. One-hour default/no-show policy.
- Armed Forces Open: Active Duty, Military Retirees, Cadets, Midshipmen, College ROTC, and Mobilized Guard/Reserve. Bring your ID card, and order if you are activated from the Guard or Reserve.
- Veterans Open: Honorably Discharged Veterans / former military. Bring DD 214, VA Card, or other appropriate proof of your military service.
- Saturday, Oct 7: Rounds 1 and 2 @ 0900 and 1430
- Sunday, Oct 8: Rounds 3 and 4 @ 0900 and 1500
- Monday, Oct 9: Round 5 @ 0900.
- BYE REQUESTS: One half-point bye is available for the tournament; please declare during Registration or up to 1 hour before the start of Round 2 on Saturday. Bye requests after this cutoff are zero-point byes.
Prizes: See the website (www.vachess.org) for the complete list. All prizes are trophies, plaques, and other gifts. No cash prizes. If you want to donate to the Prize Fund please see the Sponsorship/Donation instructions below.
FUN Side events:
- Blitz Championship: Saturday evening at 7:30 pm, FREE PIZZA. US Chess rated (G5/d0).
- Bug House: Sunday evening at 7:30 pm (4 or more teams required)
Group Photo: Monday Oct 9 at 0845, just before we start Round 5. Everyone is strongly requested to wear their Class A uniform or business attire.
Awards Ceremony: As soon as possible after the end of Round 5.
Lodging information: Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, (45020 Aviation Dr., Dulles, VA 20166). There is frequent shuttle service between the airport and the hotel. The DC Metro’s SILVER LINE also has a stop close to the hotel. Chess Rate is $119/night if you reserve by Sep 13th. For reservations call 1-703-471-9500, or you can reserve your room(s) online @ https://tinyurl.com/yrt3ywcz
Sponsorship / Donations: US Chess is dedicated to organizing and sponsoring chess tournaments for the nation’s chess playing veterans. Sponsors and donations are needed and always welcomed. To sponsor and donate to the cause, go to the US Chess Federation website, www.uschess.org. Select “Give” from the menu at the top of the screen, then select “Donate.” At the Donate page, you can select your amount to give and the cause (e.g., Military Chess).
- Primary: John Farrell, USMC Email: email@example.com
- Alternate: Mike Hoffpauir (see below)
Chief Arbiter / TD: Mike Hoffpauir, Colonel, US Army (Ret.), National Tournament Director and FIDE Arbiter. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Mobile (text capable): 757-846-4805
VERY Special and HEART-FELT Thanks: To Capital Area Chess Inc, IO/IA/NTD Anand Dommalapati, for taking an interest in our event and sharing the use of their Venue for the 2023 Skyline Open to support our event.
45020 Aviation Drive
Dulles, VA 20166