2023 Charlottesville Open
THIS IS AN OVER-THE-BOARD TOURNAMENT.
15 US Chess Grand Prix Points
WHAT: 2023 Charlottesville Open Chess Championship.
FORMAT: 5 Rounds, Swiss System. This is not an elimination tournament; everyone gets to play 5 games of chess unless there is an odd number of players in a section.
- 2 Sections: Championship and Under 1600.
- All games will be rated by the US Chess Federation.
WHEN: Friday through Sunday, July 14-15, 2023.
- Friday, 7/14: Optional BLITZ Tournament, 4 double-rounds. On-site Registration from 4-6:15pm at the hotel. Round 1 of Blitz at 7pm sharp, Time Control is Game-5 with no delay or increment.
- Saturday, 7/15: Day 1 of the Charlottesville Open
+ Round 1 at 10am, Game-75 + 10 sec.
+ Round 2 at 1:30pm, Game-90 + 10 sec
+ Round 3 at 6pm, Game-90 + 10 sec
- Sunday, 7/16: Day 2 of the Charlottesville Open
+ Round 4 at 10am, Game-90 + 10 sec
+ Round 5 at 2:30pm, Game-90 + 10
WHERE: Comfort Inn Monticello, 2097 Inn Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22911
- Hotel rate is $129 per night plus taxes if reserved by Wednesday, June 14th.
- Reserve your room using this booking link or call the hotel at (434)977-3300. Identify yourself as part of the group called “2023 Charlottesville Open Chess Championships.”
PRIZES: $3,170 in cash prizes based on 70 paid players. Last year we increased the prize payout by $500 because of strong player turnout.
- Championship Section
+ 1st to 3rd places ($650, $450, $325)
+ Top U2000 and Top U1700 ($170, $160)
+ Top Upset, Rds 1-5 ($100)
- Under 1600 Section
+ 1st to 3rd places ($450, $300, $175)
+ Top Under 1300 and Top Under 1000/Unrated ($150, $140)
+ Trophies to 1st-3rd Places in Top U1300 and Top U1000/Unrated
+ Top Upset, Rds 1-5 ($100)
- Player ratings used for pairings and awarding of prizes will be from the US Chess July 2023 Rating Supplement. Players will be paired, and section eligibility adjudicated, using the higher of each player’s Over-the-Board and Online Regular (slow) Ratings. In reviewing these ratings, the Chief TD considers which rating best represents the player’s current playing strength.
REGISTRATION: Go to www.vachess.org
- Main Event Entry Fee: $65 through midnight on Sat. July 8th, increases to $80 on Sun. July 9thh and at the tournament site. $5 retained from player who withdraws before Round 1.
- Blitz Entry Fee: $30 through July 8th, increases to $35 on July 9th and at the tournament.
- All players must be current members of the U.S. Chess Federation. Players who live in Virginia must be members of the Virginia Chess Federation (VCF). Please join or renew your US Chess or Virginia Chess memberships before the tournament.
- Boards and pieces will be available or you may use your own.
- Bring your increment-capable chess clock.
- Health protocols: Masks are optional, we will have ample supplies of hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes.
PRE-TOURNAMENT ZOOM MEETING: The VA Chess Federation will organize a pre-tournament information meeting for interested players 1-2 weeks before the event. Attendance is optional, but highly encouraged. Information and links will be on the VA Chess Federation’s website (www.vachess.org)
QUESTIONS? Mike Hoffpauir, VA Chess Federation, National Tournament Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 757-846-4805 (cell/text).
2097 Inn Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22911