Certainly, Smith had to be regarded as one of the contenders for a top prize, but given that he was over 200 points lower rated than the top few seeds, winning clear first has to be regarded as a bit of a surprise and a significant accomplishment.
Posts from December, 2017
Thomas Babcock of St. Louis Park, Minnesota, is no stranger to winning first place in a John Collins event, having done so in 2008, 2009, and 2013. Now he wins for a fourth time.
Praveen Balakrishnan (NJ), reigning Denker Champion, is only in tenth grade, but he already boasts a rating over 2500, which puts him over 300 points…
It is extremely important to have the ability to work by yourself without the help of engines; otherwise they will simply give you evaluations and variations without giving you an actual understanding of the position.
Ethan Li appeared on the cover of the May Chess Life Magazine this year for his part in Summer Chess Academy for Talented Youth ‘s victory at…
Garry Kasparov will appear at the 2018 Greater New York Scholastic Team and Individual Chess Championships.
Winning BayAreaChess tournaments has become a hard habit for GM Conrad Holt to break in 2017, much to his opponents’ dismay.
US Chess Press
- Real Sports on HBO with Bryant Gumbel Features "Gateway to Chess" on October 23 »
- Geoffrey S. Isaak, J.D., Hired as Director of Development at US Chess »
- Grandmaster Pontus Carlsson Visits New Orleans to Unveil New Scholastic Program »
- Jennifer Pearson Hired as Governance Coordinator at US Chess »
- 31st Frank Samford Jr. Chess Fellowship Announced »