Certainly, Smith had to be regarded as one of the contenders for a top prize, but given that he was over 200 points lower rated than the top few seeds, winning clear first has to be regarded as a bit of a surprise and a significant accomplishment.
Posts from December, 2017
Thomas Babcock of St. Louis Park, Minnesota, is no stranger to winning first place in a John Collins event, having done so in 2008, 2009, and 2013. Now he wins for a fourth time.
Praveen Balakrishnan (NJ), reigning Denker Champion, is only in tenth grade, but he already boasts a rating over 2500, which puts him over 300 points…
It is extremely important to have the ability to work by yourself without the help of engines; otherwise they will simply give you evaluations and variations without giving you an actual understanding of the position.
Ethan Li appeared on the cover of the May Chess Life Magazine this year for his part in Summer Chess Academy for Talented Youth ‘s victory at…
Garry Kasparov will appear at the 2018 Greater New York Scholastic Team and Individual Chess Championships.
Winning BayAreaChess tournaments has become a hard habit for GM Conrad Holt to break in 2017, much to his opponents’ dismay.
US Chess Press
- Yoo, Liang and Sevian are 2019 Samford Recipients »
- Mizzou Announces Creation of Competitive Chess Team »
- 2019 Grand Chess Tour Participants Announced »
- Historic Cairns Cup Opens with Saint Louis Chess Club’s $100,000 Gift to US Chess »
- Chess Challenge with Former U.S. Women's Champion Alexey Root »